Finding ideas for a story feels like one of the toughest things to do on the planet if you’re a writer. Since everything has already been written in some way, how would you go about creating a new piece of literature? Well, this short list below will break down how to find new fresh ideas for your writing pleasure.
- Re-read old favorites or short stories from your favorite authors and take the plot to re-work it.
- Create a mind map and draw connections between two things that have nothing to do with one another, i.e. spiders and high school students on field trips.
- Brainstorm in the shower.
- Memorize your nightmares or dreams and jot them down in a dream journal
- Go out in public and listen to stranger’s conversations, just don’t be a creep about it.
- Hang out in nature or a wide open space with little distractions.
- Look at a story trope that has been written to death and then tweak, rewrite, and revive it.
The suggestions above may not create your next bestseller. But, it will help you to gather some new ideas for your writing collection.
Any other ideas you could suggest? Put in the comments below! And, don’t forget to share.
Thanks for reading!